ALL decided to use Zoom as the application for conducting remote classes. Many of you may already be comfortable using Zoom after a few months of pandemic isolation. Class coordinators will email a link to the class with a meeting ID only to registered members of the class before the first meeting.
Please familiarize yourself with Zoom. There are excellent tutorial resources available online, such as the link below.
Other training opportunities will be communicated through email or our newsletter.
There are some basic behaviors while using any face-to-face medium that are especially important in a classroom environment. Think of a Zoom class as a face-to-face meeting and conduct yourself as you would if you were all present in the same room. In addition, there are some additional useful tips below to observe to help ensure the meeting goes smoothly for all involved:
- If you haven’t used Zoom before, click the link to download Zoom prior to the day of the meeting and familiarize yourself with any features you may need to use on the day – mute/unmute microphone, stop/start video, screen share etc.;
- Join early – up to 10 minutes before the meeting start time.
- Have your video on unless you are experiencing connection issues.
- Find a quiet space without interruptions or background noise.
- Have a plain background and avoid back light from bright windows.
- Have good lighting on your face so you can be seen clearly.
- Adjust your camera to be at around eye level if possible – especially take note of the angle of your laptop screen if using the built-in camera.
- Mute your microphone when not talking.
- Try to avoid talking over / at the same time as other participants.
- Be aware you are on camera, so try to avoid doing other tasks (checking emails, looking at your phone, etc.)
- If you wish to ask a question or offer a comment, please raise your hand so that the coordinator can see it on-screen.