Spring semester 2022 courses beginning in January 2022 will continue to be taught on Zoom. If you are new to Zoom or not yet comfortable using Zoom, we recommend viewing a video entitled “Joining a Zoom Call for the First Time; Fun and Easy Online Connection”, which is viewable at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9isp3qPeQ0E.
Zoom Helpful Hints
Conduct yourselves as you would if you were all in the same room. These tips below help ensure the class goes smoothly for all involved:
- Join early – up to 5 minutes before the meeting start time.
- Have your video on unless you are experiencing connection issues.
- Find a quiet space without interruptions or background noise.
- If possible, have a plain background and avoid backlight from bright windows.
- Have good lighting on your face so you can be seen clearly.
- Adjust your camera to be at around eye level if possible – especially take note of the angle of your laptop screen if using the built-in camera.
- Mute your microphone when not talking.
- Try to avoid talking over / at the same time as other participants.
- Be aware you are on camera, so try to avoid doing other tasks (checking emails, looking at your phone, etc.)
- Use both the “mute” icon and the “leave video” icon (next to the mute icon) when eating or snacking, walking around, answering the phone, or leaving the room.
- If you wish to ask a question or offer a comment, please raise your hand so that the coordinator can see it on-screen.